Saturday, June 5, 2010

How to meet a man while you do your laundry...

So, like most NYers, I have the regular opportunity of doing my laundry in a public location. Fortunately, our apartment building has a laundry room in the basement. This is especially convenient, since I normally let my laundry go as long as possible--thus, I am often wearing my last remaining clean "outfit" when I do my laundry. This outfit is often composed of mismatching, ill-fitting articles of clothing that happen to be too ugly to wear on any other day.

Last Friday was no different. I was preparing to leave town for the weekend, and I needed to get a few things done before I left. Since I didn't have to work until the afternoon, it seemed like a prime time to finish some laundry. I went downstairs in all my "laundry outfit" glory--baggy capri sweat pants, yellow (did I mention that yellow is a horrible color on me) t-shirt with paint on it and the neck cut out, glasses, no make-up, and a really "special" hairdo somehow piled on top of my head. Basically, I looked worse than when I rolled out of bed that morning.

As I put my clothing into the dryer, a very handsome man walks into the laundry room. He's putting his clothes into the washers. We talk briefly, and then I go upstairs. Being the dork that I am, I didn't think to change before I went back downstairs--I was busy getting some work done! I went back down to grab my dry laundry (still in my awesome outfit, and sweating because it was already really hot and muggy). As I'm pulling my clothing out of the dryers, in walks the hot guy to change his stuff to the dryers. For some reason we start chatting... and we continue to chat... and we chat some more. This whole time, I'm sweating profusely because I am holding the sack with my fresh-out-of-the-dryer clothing. Then he asked me if I wanted to grab coffee with him. Huh?! Really?! (I didn't say those things, but I thought them)

At this point I realized that he was flirting with me--yes, I can be fairly clueless. So, I looked at myself, looked back at him, and said, "umm, sure...if I can change first, then yeah." I know--I'm so eloquent. Anyway, he says he'll meet me out front in 10 min. I run inside, change, put in my contacts, stick my hair back (since it iis hopeless), and somehow make myself presentable enough to go back outside (still without make-up).

We went to "coffee," though I stuck to my good ole' cranberry juice. We had a really great time, and only stopped because I had to go to work. He walked me back to the laundry room, and asked if I'd like to go do something with him this week. Of course, I said yes... and tonight's date was great!

So, I have no idea if this will go anywhere. He knows I'm LDS, and that I'm active in the church. We'll see what happens. If nothing else, it's a great story!!! So the moral is:
Be careful what you wear on laundry day--you can never be sure who you will meet.

Hugs,
Jamie

No comments: