As I mentioned in one of my previous entries, I had been asked by some friends to babysit their three children while they were out of town for a week. Since I adore the children, I was more than happy to agree to watch them. This babysitting adventure took place from 1/16 to 1/24, and I have definitely had my eyes opened. I could list the challenges of being a single mom to three children under the age of 5 (Maragaret is 5, Cole is 3 1/2, and Stella is 11 mo.) in NYC, but I think I have plenty of friends that have a greater and deeper understanding of these trials than I do. What I would like to list, though, are a few of the joys of being a substitute mommy for such delightful children. As you read it, please note that the parents took months preparing the chldren, and telling them I was going to be the mommy for the week (I was the sub). The parents have not really referred to me as a "babysitter" so, I believe I have had a unique experience.
Here it goes!
- I discovered that I really llike to be called "mom." What a sweet title!
- I discovered the joys of "bedtime." I love that time
- Somewhere along the line, I realized that I could accomplish and was alright with all the crazy mommy stuff
- Relief Society sisterhood. My testimony of the importance of the Relief Society has increased 10-fold. I don't know how single mothers are able to do it without RS
- Being able to relate to friends who've entered the motherhood stage of life in a way I've never been able to before.
- Making new friends because their kids are friends with "my" kids. There are some truly amazing mothers here in the city.
- Play groups are fun! It is fun to watch kids play with each other and to get in on the fun yourself
- Late night feedings for the baby. I'm not good at getting up in the middle of the night, but there is nothing as sweet as a little baby snuggled up in your arms
- Cuddle time with Cole. He is a typical 3-yr old boy and he doesn't like to cuddle. However, one night he got up in the middle of the night and decided to curl up on the couch. I joined him, and it was the only chance to sit and cuddle with him without any kind of fight. It was a peaceful and a precious moment.
- Having plenty of time to think of someone besides myself
- Hugs and kisses goodnight
- Family prayer
- Family Home Evening (I love that Margaret and Cole reminded me to have it)
- Kids being excited about what you made for dinner
- Ordering in. Sometimes that's the only way to keep sane
- Bath time. It's kind of a pain, but I think it's a lot of fun.
- Excitement over the small things
- There's nothing that warms the heart quite like a when a pair of big eyes in a small face light up because they've seen you.
- I love that the Cole still prays for me every night (his mom told me), Margaret still runs to show me what she's made at church, and Stella still reaches for me and cuddles (though she easily goes back to her mom)
I'm glad for this chance and challenge. It was an opportunity and I am so grateful that I took advantage of it. I look forward to when I get to be the mother to my children.
Thank you to all of you moms!!! You are amazing women! Thank you for sharing your kids with those of us that aren't!!! They are precious. Most of all, thanks to the amazing mothers in my life--especially my mom and step-mom. Loves to you all!

2 comments:
I love you - what a wonderful experience for you.
Love,
Mom
You're awesome, Jamie. If you ever want to substitute for me in Las Vegas, let me know! Someday you are going to be the most amazing mom in the whole wide world!
Post a Comment