One of the benefits of living in New York City and working in theatre is that I randomly end up with comp tickets on a semi-normal basis. The last few weeks have been particularly full. However, this week I was only planning on seeing one show and ended up seeing two shows at the last minute. What a blast! So, here are my reviews of what I saw this week:
MONDAY
Bernadette Peters Live at the Minskoff Theatre
Monday evening I finished work and headed out the door. As I checked my phone, I noticed that I had a message from a friend asking me to babysit. However, when I called, they were already set and asked if I wanted to go with them to see Bernadette Peters in concert (free ticket, of course). It was BRILLIANT! She is amazing. Her voice has never been what you would call pretty. If you listen to a recording of her, you won't understand how anyone can love her so much. BUT she is a brilliant actress and amazing performer! When she sang "Fever," you could feel the temperature of the theatre rise. FANTASTIC! I could go on and on about her, but suffice it to say that I was in the presence of a Real Broadway Mega-Star and Diva (not to mention Stephen Sondheim, Arthur Laurents, Mary Tyler Moore, Hugh Jackman, Daniel Craig, assorted other TV, movie, and Broadway stars).
THURSDAY
Wishful Drinking
This show was planned ahead. I work for Roundabout Theatre Company, and it is one of our shows. All I can say is... Carrie Fischer and all her baggage--it was HILARIOUS and very sad all wrapped into one. I came away still giggling from her show and praying with gratitude for my family and life. That woman is fabulous and quite the comedian. And the segment about "Hollywood Inbreeding" was...I can't think of a word that captures it...but it was crazy.
FRIDAY
Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular
Another surprise for me. I got a call from a friend I'd met the night before asking if I'd like to go. He works for the LDS Public and International Affairs office, and so I ended up sitting next to the Argentinian Ambassador.
So...Holy Cow, giant show!!! I didn't realize that shows this ginormous still existed. That place is crazy. And the budget on the show has to be astronomical. The only time I have seen a hall that large was when I've gone to the Met Opera. The Rockettes are amazing, but I am glad I am not one of them. The singers were great. Santa was lovely. What surprised me most was that the whole last part was the telling of birth of Christ--camels, sheep, angel, donkey and all. It was surprising and gratifying that such a commercial, mainstream show would remember the true reason why we have Christmas (even with glitz).
Well, that's it for this week. I'm going to see Mary Poppins again on Monday. [insert evil scientist laugh--"Mwah hahaha!"--here] I love my work!
Nervous and Excited
10 years ago

1 comment:
Jealous, you ask? Who me? I am a dignified and refined adult. Would I be jealous? YES! I AM SO JEALOUS!
When I come out there next fall, we need to go to lots of shows! And cupcake places....
Post a Comment