Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Family Rocks!

Anyone who knows me knows that I love my family. My family is amazing! In fact, I have a hard time understanding how I got lucky enough to be part of such an awesome family. We're not perfect, but we are strong and happy. So, in response to my wonderful family situation, I am dedicating this week's blog to reasons why I love my family. This list refers to both immediate and extended family, unless noted otherwise.

1. We are hilarious!
2. They love me
3. They call me out if I'm acting like a jerk or idiot
4. They bring me real mexican food from Yuma
5. My sisters (and sis-in-law) call me on the phone and send me messages
6. My brothers keep me safe
7. My cousins keep me sane
8. We don't argue as much as we did when we were younger
9. We laugh together (always have, always will)
10. We are grateful for every opportunity to get together
11. We make cute babies (obviously, I am not yet to this point in my life, but I trust that my babies will be cute too ;) )
12. We help each other when life gets tough
13. We pray for each other
14. We remind each other to be better than we are
15. We give each other a reason to strive for celestial glory
16. My grandparents are amazing (I've been lucky enough to have 8)
17. We sing together
18. Katey brings me Stephen's Hot Chocolate from Utah (did I mention that I'm almost out?)
19. My family is talented
20. My Dad still checks my muscle tone in my arms and legs. I love it! It makes me feel like a little kid again, and it motivates me to keep up my exercise
21. We like to play and do silly things together
22. We tell each other that we love each other
23. My niece is always excited to see me. She jumps up and down--it makes me feel special
24. It's difficult to say goodbye to my family, but we still smile when saying goodbye so that the other person won't feel worse (even Mom is getting better at this, though I know it breaks her heart every time one of us leaves)
25. I always learn something new because of my family
26. My dad is my hero
27. My mom is my best friend and advocate
28. My step dad makes me feel safe
29. My step mom makes me feel inspired and special
30. I can be anywhere and in any situation with Kyle, and I know that I'll be safe
31. Melissa is fun and style wrapped into a loving package
32. Leilani is more wise than she knows and is a great example of motherhood
33. Mike is brilliant and has let me lovingly torture him since before he became my brother
34. Katey is my "mini" who has passed me up in so many ways
35. My in-laws have only made my family richer. For the most part, my siblings have had good taste in spouses.
36. So, you remember those cute kids? Yeah--they rock (this includes my cousins' kids, too)!
37. As my niece says, "cousins are way better than just friends"
38. My brother, the Marine, will sing if I play the piano
39. Singing with my sisters is always fun. We sound amazing together and we laugh when someone messes up (but without stopping, of course)
40. Anywhere I go, I will find a family member nearby
41. They're my favorite!
42. We share the eternal perspective of the gospel and the Plan of Happiness
43. Culture out the whazoo! Hawaiian, Mexican, Californian, Bicknellan, McDonaldFarmin
44. The cabin!!!
45. I look nothing like my first cousins--I get a kick out of that
46. Because of the women in my family, I've now read all of the Twilight series
47. Because of the men in my family, I know a lot about James Bond and art
48. My family understands my addiction to and obsession with the water and water sports
49. There's no place like home
50. We're together for eternity

5 comments:

Jamie K said...

So, I totally write a whole post about my family (as requested) and nobody has responded. Where is the love?! ;)

McDonald's Funny Farm said...

"Where is the love you said was mine all mine till the end of time..." Good song from way back then!

So here is my response: I was very touched by all these memories and feelings in your blog. I wanted to think about some of it and bask in it's "wonderfulness" before I said anything.

Yes, your family is quite hilarious! And talented and loving and many, many things.

And yes, it breaks a piece of my heart every time one of you leaves.

I love you all very, very much and think that I am the luckiest mommy in the world to have you in my life.

Oh, and you forgot to say, as we all agree with everything your wrote, that we are most humble as well!!

Love,
Mom

Daniel said...

hot chocolate will be on its way very soon

Katey said...

I called you! Besides, I think that we sound quite amazing together too!! I love you!

By the way, I think that Daniel makes me feel safe too. It must be his big muscles!!

How do you solve a problem like Malia? said...

Jaime, you're made of awesome!